A story from the Twilight Zone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    teamgonzo.net Forum Index » Off-Topic View previous topic
View next topic
A story from the Twilight Zone
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post A story from the Twilight Zone Reply with quote
Today something really weird happened to me.
I don't know if you know the situation that you once read something or saw a movie that kept walking around in you head. Years later you still remember some scenes or only some single pictures and you would like to see or read it again but you cannot remember the title. Nowadays the internet is a welcome tool to help you within seconds, but sometimes you don't have enough catchphrases for google and no forum can help.
Well I have such a thing: When I was 8 or 9, I saw an animated film. It was a strange film about alien giants and some tiny beings that were treated like pets or sometimes even worse like vermin. I remembered that those small guys managed to kill one of the big ones and a kind of singlesided war followed that. It wasn't exactly a film for kids and it was broadcast in the evening.
So that was what I knew. And I have tried to find that film for the last 20 years. Fist I visited several libraries (before the internet became useful) and asked there, later I tried google and posted on the usenet about once a year. But in vain. The guys on SciFi-Forums sent me on to groups about animated films and vice versa.
Yesterday I had to burn quite a number of DVD presentations and print labels and covers.I had to take care about this every few minutes, so gaming was out of the question. Instead, I decided to try and look for the film. The result was as always. After 2 hours intense browsing I decided to try again next year. I did not expect to find anything, so I was only mildly disappointed and went to bed.

Today I got up and continued to produce DVDs (I need about 45). Just after I started, I received an e-mail from my internet DVD rental shop, telling me that they had a special offer. Why not, I asked myself and started to look through the index. But nothing interesting in sight - only "Avatar" was available, but for only one DVD the shipping would not be worth spending. My wife is nagging regularly that she wants to see Avatar, so I had to find something. In the end I wanted to let fate decide for me.
I opened the genre list, gave the mouse-wheel a spin and clicked randomly: SciFi! Fine with me. 1361 Movies available. Good. I wiggled the mouse over the page-links aaaaaand... click! Page 13. Super. Mousewheel again and click.... I could not believe my eyes. That was the film! It is called "Der phantastische Planet" ("Phantastic Planet") and was produced in 1973.

That was really really really strange. About 10 hours after I had last tried to find the film I have been searching for so long, I unintentionally picked it out of over 93,000 titles. This certainly is the most unprobable thing that has ever happened to me.

Finally online: TriffiD's Astronomy Page
Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
d3im0s
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Congratulations TriffiD. Just feel free to post here again in case you hit the lotto, or be struck by lightning, or be abducted by aliens...

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:33 pm View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
KillaMasta

Post Reply with quote
Why are you not playing lottery or gambling? Laughing
It could happen that you'll be successful as well. Give it a try, that is not just luck, it was your destiny...
The world and your live is and will be a mystery, uncle TriffiD.

Laughing Cool

"One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Uncle Bionic
Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
SauBaer

Post Reply with quote
Nice. Wthout irony. Those moments...
It very rarely happens to me with music, finding something randomly over youtube after hearing it years ago... but I´m still not as old as you Laughing
and I have a very bad luck in any gambling 0/100 everytime I can remember

I believe somehow in 3 years they will go through the same procedure, scroll the mousewheel, click randomly and will select Uncle TriffiD for president...
Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
Bionic Commando

Post Reply with quote
Can you, please, make that story shorter, I cant read that all.
Please, enough talk. Shorter. Thanks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
C4 Corvette, love her till my death.
Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:00 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Blueberry
Site Admin

Post Re: A story from the Twilight Zone Reply with quote
TriffiD wrote:
Fist I visited several libraries

coincidence? destiny? Shocked Laughing

but seriously, cool story!

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
Spliffy
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Bionic Commando wrote:
Can you, please, make that story shorter, I cant read that all.
Please, enough talk. Shorter. Thanks.

lol

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Spliffy
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Nice story BTW. I have been searching for the name of a Saturday afternoon series that I used to watch as a boy. I have been searching for years and talking to people my age but hardly anyone remembers it. It was areound the times of the A-Team, Blue Thunder, Manamal, Street Hawk, Knightrider, The INcredible Hulk, Spiderman etc.

It was based on an electronic man who had a suit made of light (Tron Style) and a normal head. He had a pet called cursor who could draw him anything he needed and bring it to life: sports cars, helicopters etc. This guy basically caught the bad guys all the time. I can't for the life of me remember the name of that series and I think it only lasted one season.

I would be really happy if someone could tell me that name.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Bionic Commando

Post Reply with quote
Spliffy wrote:
Nice story BTW. I have been searching for the name of a Saturday afternoon series that I used to watch as a boy. I have been searching for years and talking to people my age but hardly anyone remembers it. It was areound the times of the A-Team, Blue Thunder, Manamal, Street Hawk, Knightrider, The INcredible Hulk, Spiderman etc.

It was based on an electronic man who had a suit made of light (Tron Style) and a normal head. He had a pet called cursor who could draw him anything he needed and bring it to life: sports cars, helicopters etc. This guy basically caught the bad guys all the time. I can't for the life of me remember the name of that series and I think it only lasted one season.

It is "Automan" from somewhere early 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmvGxjbxju8

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:13 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Spliffy
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Bionic Commando wrote:
Spliffy wrote:

I LOVE YOU Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Bionic Commando wrote:
Spliffy wrote:

Ohhhh, great! If Spliffy writes more than two lines, you can read it, but when I need a few words more, you complain.... Sad

I was a big Automan-fan, too. If you entered "cursor tv-series" in google, the first link would have helped you. I wish my problems were that easy to solve.

Meanwhile I found out that my film was based on the book "Oms en série". I'd love to read that, but it has never been translated to English or German. I fear I'm too old to improve my very poor french enough to read it. Sad

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
( >'.')>

Post Reply with quote
I've been looking for a book too. If i remember correct it was a scifi book. Among other things there was a tale of this dude who walked around and healed
sick people. Oh and the best part was that he could turn water into wine. I think it was a story about some drunk dude.
There's also a story about one guy who built a huge ship and filled it with animals. Then he set sail and had sex with all the animals.

d3im0s wrote:
I like arnie's dick Laughing Laughing
Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
( >'.')> wrote:
Then he set sail and had sex with all the animals.
Must be a Finn, apparently. Does that help? Twisted Evil

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
Bionic Commando

Post Reply with quote
If that makes you feel better triff, I did read your story.
Very Happy

Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:00 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Bionic Commando wrote:
If that makes you feel better triff, I did read your story.
Very Happy
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    teamgonzo.net Forum Index » Off-Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: